Saturday, February 4, 2012

A girl and her power tools

I LOVE, LOVE power tools.

When looking for a specific Valentine decor, I couldn't find the right one, soooooo I said "well, I'll just have pull out my tools and make it myself"
 hehe . . . this is where I get excited!

Supplies:
  • wood
  • paint
  • sander
  • scroll saw
  • drill
  • cricut
  • adhesive vinyl (because the small amount of vinyl I was using . . . I didn't want to spend $9, so I called up a sign company and got a 8.5x11 piece for $1)


I ask a friend (who builds) if he had extra wood - got this great piece of solid pine. I cut "Love" using my cricut on thick paper and traced it on the wood.

I didn't get a picture of my scroll saw, cause my batteries in my camera
 were dead and I was running out of time, ha! 

Anyways, I cut out the word using my scroll saw.
First cut around the outside and the trick to cutting inside of the
 "e" and the "heart" is use a drill to make a hole in the
 center of the "e" and the "heart"
Sorry again, I don't have pictures.
You then remove you blade from the saw, place the wood in place and 
put blade back into it's slot then start cutting.  It can get a little tricky, but as long of 
you guide your wood and follow the line, you'll be fine.


 The block are 3x3 squares. I had a friend cut those with a chop saw, I wasn't brave enough to try it, ha!
That's next on my list for try, though.

I sanded each piece of wood with my handy little sander.

 Ok, so I painted everything red, but I wasn't sure if I like it so I sanded the "Love" and then couldn't decide what I liked better - I ended liking it all red
 (but forgot to take a final picture - sorry)

I love the "XOXO" All I did here, was cut out the letter with my cricut.  
Now when you cut on a vinyl sheet, I set my cricut pressure on med
 so that it didn't cut through entire sheet, then you just peel it off like a sticker.
Now you're ready to put it on the wood - just watch for air bubbles.



~ Thanks for stopping by ~

No comments:

Post a Comment